Saturday, October 24, 2009

Internet Wars

Its quickly becoming a pain in the neck. This business of getting online is getting more complicated than I previously expected.

I finally decided to avail of Globe's broadband package because I thought a line is better than a wireless internet service. I’ve heard enough complaints about poor internet service to try going wireless.

I rejected PLDT’s offer because at a similar price, it comes with a telephone line but with a lower speed ( 384 kbps max compared to Globe’s 1Mbps max).I don’t need landline since I already have a postpaid plan with Sun Cellular and my sim packs from Globe and Smart are often simultaneously signed up for unlimited txt or calls.

Its expensive, I know. That is the price of keeping in touch with friends who refuse to communicate unless you’re using the same network as theirs.


Earlier today I was informed by a Globe representative that a line is not viable in my location. He offered me Wi-Max instead. Apparently it is Globe’s response to Smart Bro. Another wireless internet connection.

He said it would take an extra hundred meters of wire than it previously took to install my housemate’s net service. I found that hard to believe since my housemate lives in the room next to mine.

The guy explained in jargon that they had to connect to another line further down the road since the one used previously is already full.

I feel shortchanged. And I don’t like it.

My landlady compounded the situation by telling me that if I have my own internet connection I should also have my own energy sub-meter to monitor my electricity consumption.

I have just acquired my computer recently and I am still about to buy an AVR or UPS. And CD-R King doesn’t accept credit cards. Now I also have to buy my own kuntador.

I am getting cash strapped right now.


I wonder if the lead sentence of my next blog would read: “Amidst mounting costs, Blitzking’s love affair with the internet came to a sudden and abrupt end.”

Its not even funny.

4 comments:

  1. grabe ang alin, un bagal ng internet connection?
    :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. the whole process of getting connected. i thought pinas is way ahead... what with all the cellphones. but can't improve on the internet connections. plus the landlord being paranoid. i don't think computers eat up a lot of electricity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its human nature. Man fears what he doesnt understand.

    and the Phils being the texting capital of the world has nothing to do with technology. it only shows how thoughtful Filipinos are. hahaha

    we have this need to stay connected to our love ones. from "just woke up. gcing kna?" in the morning to "gudnyt na, switdrims.mmwah" at night.

    ReplyDelete